- Finance, Insurance, Real Estate and Legal (FIRL)
- Land Development
- Oil & Gas
- Urban Development & Infrastructure
- Biological Sciences
- Construction Materials Testing/Engineering
- Cultural Sciences
- EHS Compliance & Management Systems
- Energy and Renewables
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Geotechnical Engineering—Soil and Rock Mechanics/Soil, Rock, and Mining Engineering
- Health & Safety/Industrial Hygiene
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment
- Information Management
- M&A & Due Diligence Consulting
- Ore Evaluation Services
- Permitting and Stakeholder Engagement
- Planning/Design/Landscape Architecture
- Project/Program Management
- Property Development/Redevelopment
- Site Remediation
- Surface Water/Sediments
New Environmental Regulations Ease Investments in Brazil
Brazil, South America
|Industries||FIRL, Land Development, ;|
|Services||M&A and Due Diligence Consulting, Property Development/Redevelopment, Site Remediation, Regulatory Review/Interpretation|
For many years, domestic and foreign investors in Brazil faced a great deal of uncertainty over the environmental regulations they needed to meet. Most notably, there were concerns related to standards for properties where the soil had been impacted by its previous use. The lack of formal, nationwide standards slowed the rate of investment for several decades.
In the early 2000s, however, the federal government started introducing a series of more clearly stated environmental standards. They covered air and water quality, remediation of contaminated sites and other key areas. A number of challenges affected the ability to issue uniform regulations, including:
- The wide variety of activities that make up the economy
- The geography, which ranges from the environmentally sensitive and pristine parts of the Amazon River basin, to the large industrialised areas such as the São Paulo metropolitan area.
Golder's professionals have found these standards, which are similar to those of the US Environmental Protection Agency, to be very beneficial in helping our clients:
- Understand their obligations
- Set a value on liabilities
- Build more certainty into an acquisition or joint venture.
M&A & Due Diligence Consulting
Our Mergers and Acquisitions services provide business with science and engineering that matters and makes deals happen with confidence....
Identifying and understanding the potential project challenges, risks and liabilities, above and below the ground is vital for owners,...
Successful remediation of a contaminated site demands that all aspects of the site – its history, geology, chemistry, future land and...